Rebecca Evans (soprano) London Symphony Orchestra Richard Hickox (conductor). Chandos moves into the 10000 series of discs with the first of the Millennium series, and the third in Richard Hickox’s series of the symphonies of Vaughan Williams. This series is somewhat different than the usual RVW symphonic cycle. For No. 2 we had the original version of the symphony. With No. 4 we had the Mass in G minor added as a fill up, rather than another symphony as is usual in similar symphonic series
1. Norfolk Rhapsody No. 2 in D minor (9:15). Symphony No. 3. "Pastoral Symphony" 2. I. Molto moderato (10:42) 3. II. Lento moderato (10:27) 4. III. Moderato pesante (6:35) 5. IV. Lento (11:14)
Norfolk Rhapsody No. 2 in D Minor by London Symphony Orchestra. Although such a symphony was never published, he did complete the three Norfolk Rhapsodies in 1905 and 1906, and these were originally planned as the separate movements of the symphony: No. 1 was to have been the first movement, No. 2 the slow movement and scherzo, and N. the finale, a march and trio using four folk tunes for its themes. But in 1914 the first was heavily revised and the remaining two withdrawn from publication.
Rebecca Evans, London Symphony Orchestra, Richard Hickox Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 3 A Pastoral Symphony Norfolk Rhapsody No. 1 & 2, The Running Sett. Ralph Vaughan Williams . Lento 11:14 06. The Running Set (1936; England) 6:33 Prest 07.
Norfolk Rhapsody N. in D- Work. London Symphony Orchestra Orchestra, Richard Hickox Conductor. 1. Norfolk Rhapsody N. in D-. 9:15. Ralph Vaughan Williams Composer. Symphony N., for soprano or tenor and orchestra ('Pastoral') Work. Rebecca Evans Soprano, London Symphony Orchestra Orchestra, Richard Hickox Conductor. 4. oderato pesante.
01. 2 in D minor (1905-1906; England). "Pastoral Symphony" (1921; England). 02. Molto moderato. 03. Lento moderato. 04. Moderato pesante. 06. The Running Set (1936; England). 07. 1 in e Minor (1905-1906; England). Adagio - Allegro vivace - Tempo I (Lento). Vaughan Williams - Pastoral Symphony; Norfolk Rhapsody No. so -4096.
Norfolk Rhapsody for orchestra No. 2 in D minor. 3 for soprano or tenor & orchestra ("Pastoral"). 2. Molto moderato - Poco tranquillo - Tempo 1 - Largamente - Tempo 1. Richard Hickox. Lento moderato - Poco tranquillo, tempo rubato - Tempo 1. Moderato pesante - Poco animato - A tempo - Presto. 5. Lento - Moderato maestoso - Animato - Poco più lento - Tempo 1. 6. The Running Set, fantasia on jig-rhythms for orchestra.
Solo soprano Rebecca Evans. Orchestra London Symphony Orchestra. Conductor Richard Hickox. Venue All Saints' Church, Tooting, London. Producer Brian Couzens. Engineer Ralph Couzens.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|Norfolk Rhapsody No. 2 In D Minor
Edited By [Edited And Completed By] – Stephen Hogger
|1||Larghetto - Allegro - Molto Tranquillo||9:15|
|Pastoral Symphony (Symphony No.3)
Soprano Vocals – Rebecca Evans
|2||I. Molto Moderato - Poco Tranquillo - Tempo I - Largamente - Tempo I||10:42|
|3||II. Lento Moderato - Poco Tranquillo, Tempo Rubato - Tempo I||10:27|
|4||III. Moderato Pesante - Poco Animato - A Tempo - Presto||6:35|
|5||IV. Lento - Moderato Maestoso - Animato - Poco Più Lento - Tempo I||11:14|
|The Running Set|
|Norfolk Rhapsody No. 1 In E Minor|
|7||Adagio - Allegro Vivace - Tempo I (Lento)||11:25|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Chandos Records Ltd
- Copyright (c) – Chandos Records Ltd
- Copyright (c) – Faber Music Ltd.
- Copyright (c) – Oxford University Press
- Recorded At – All Saints Church, Tooting, London
- Booklet Editor – Elizabeth Long
- Booklet Editor [Booklet Typeset By] – Dave Partridge
- Composed By – Vaughan Williams*
- Conductor – Richard Hickox
- Design – Sean Coleman*
- Editor – Rachel Smith*
- Engineer – Ralph Couzens
- Engineer [Assistant] – Michael Common
- Leader – Markus Wolf*
- Liner Notes – Michael Kennedy*
- Orchestra – London Symphony Orchestra*
- Producer – Brian Couzens
- Soprano Vocals – Rebecca Evans
NotesRecording venue: All Saints Church, Tooting, London; 16-18 Jaunary 2002
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 0 95115 10012 7
|CHSA 5002||Richard Hickox||Vaughan Williams: Pastoral Symphony - Norfolk Rhapsody (SACD, Hybrid, Multichannel)||Chandos||CHSA 5002||UK||2002|