Neon Golden is the fifth studio album by German indie rock band The Notwist, originally released through City Slang in 2002. It peaked at number 47 on the UK Independent Albums Chart. Pitchfork placed Neon Golden at number 131 on their list of top 200 albums of the 2000s.
Neon Golden (CD, Album, Promo). City Slang, Big Store. Neon Golden (CD, Album, Promo). Neon Golden (LP + 12", S/Sided + Album). Domino USA. DOMUS10LP.
Neon Golden is The Notwist’s fifth studio album, and is generally regarded as their magnum opus. The album draws from many genres, including indie pop and electronic, but generally stays downtempo, soft, and methodical. Critics called the album a pure pop masterpiece with rough, experimental edges and the space between extremes, continually and consistently welding paradoxical ideas together. The album also ended up on Pitchfork’s Top 200 albums of the 2000s, reaching Neon Golden Q&A.
Neon Golden is replete with textured sounds, drifting (and occasionally driving) pulsations, and mesmerizing hypno-rhythms. It's been quite a while since the last time I actually felt I've been with a record like this. Sounds odd, but that's exactly the feeling I've received over the last two weeks.
Neon Golden was a subtle rewiring of the Notwist's long-established baroque hip-hop post-rock fetishist technique. The album's minimal kitchen-sink vibe was stronger, the wide assortment of instruments were arranged with new conviction, and the band would throw in a startlingly unpretentious mixture of tub-thumbing static, cellos, banjos, organs, and breakbeats while Markus Acher's Belle & Sebastian-styled vocals flowed underneath like island run-off.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|1||One Step Inside Doesn't Mean You Understand||3:14|
|3||Pick Up The Phone||3:55|
Composed By [Elements From Drowning By Numbers], Written-By [Elements From Drowning By Numbers] – Michael Nyman
|7||One With The Freaks||3:38|
|9||Off The Rails||3:27|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Big Store
- Copyright (c) – Big Store
- Licensed To – Domino Recording Co. Ltd.
- Arranged By [Brass & String] – Micha Acher
- Cello – Sebastian Hess
- Clarinet [Bass], Saxophone [Alto] – Ullrich Wangenheim
- Congas – Bibul F. Darouiche*
- Double Bass [Contra Bass] – Robert Klinger
- Goblet Drum [Zarb], Cajón [Cachon], Kanjira [Canjira] – Saam
- Lyrics By – Markus Acher (tracks: 1 to 5, 7 to 13), Martin Gretschmann (tracks: 6)
- Music By – Markus Acher (tracks: 1, 2, 5, 7 to 9, 11, 13), Martin Gretschmann (tracks: 2, 3, 5, 6, 11, 12), Martin Messerschmid (tracks: 5), Micha Acher (tracks: 1, 2, 4, 5, 8 to 10, 12, 13)
- Performer – Markus Acher, Martin Gretschmann, Martin Messerschmid, Micha Acher
- Piano, Keyboards – Roberto Di Gioia
- Producer – Galore
- Recorded By, Mixed By – Mario Thaler, O.L.A.F. Opal
- Saxophone [Tenor] – Johannes Enders, Ullrich Wangenheim
NotesIssued in slimline case.
Made in the EU.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 1): DOMUS10CD 31399 SP 2101810
- Mastering SID Code: IFPI L055
- Mould SID Code: IFPI KA01
|20184-2, 7243 812124 2 4||The Notwist||Neon Golden (CD, Album)||City Slang, Virgin||20184-2, 7243 812124 2 4||Europe||2002|
|none||The Notwist||Neon Golden (Deluxe Edition) (18xFile, AAC, Album, Dlx, RE, 256)||City Slang||none||Europe||2010|
|20184-1, 724381091012, 20184-2, 810910 2||The Notwist||Neon Golden (LP, Album)||City Slang, Virgin, City Slang, Virgin||20184-1, 724381091012, 20184-2, 810910 2||Germany||2002|
|SLANG9550064, SLANG0680057P||The Notwist||Neon Golden (LP, Album, RE + DVD-V)||City Slang, City Slang||SLANG9550064, SLANG0680057P||Europe||2010|
|20184-2, none||The Notwist||Neon Golden (CD, Album, Promo)||City Slang, Big Store||20184-2, none||UK & Europe||2001|