II is the second studio album by Canadian noise rock band METZ, released internationally on May 4, 2015 on Sub Pop. It was released a day later in North America. II was produced by the band, and engineered by Alex Bonenfant and Graham Walsh. Walsh is best known as a member of Toronto-based electronica band Holy Fuck.
METZ make noise rock of the highest calibre. Cannot recommend this record enough. Includes unlimited streaming of II via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more. ships out within 3 days. Purchasable with gift card.
Shop Vinyl and CDs and complete your Metz collection.
Written by Lisa Sookraj28 April, 2015. CD DL LP. Due Out May 4, 2015. The first single Acetate was an appropriate representation of II to give fans. Typical Metz’s with the added bonus of a real impending doom bassline. The song has enough space within it to soak up the band’s experimentation with the sounds of their instruments. The highs and lows on this track appear throughout the album. The choruses are full-on ferocious, split up by down-played verses and screeching, deranged scales and solos. Aside from all that, it’s still got an underlying groove that you can bounce around to while making pancakes!
While METZ’s first album was a reflection on the anxiety and hysteria of living in a big city, this is an album more concerned with death. Having lost loved ones in the past years, Edkins recently told Noisey that the album just feels more human. It’s easy to hear what he’s talking about. Listening to METZ II is an overwhelming experience. It may take a few listens to soak in all the vitriol and venom, but it’s worth the effort. It’s hard to imagine them getting even louder and more fervent, but if there’s a band that’s capable of doing just that, it’s undoubtedly METZ. Essential Tracks: Acetate, Kicking a Can of Worms, and Landfill.
More than a few critics compared Metz to the Jesus Lizard upon the release of their first album in 2012, and not without reason, but while the Canadian band's music does bear some small resemblance to the late, lamented Chicago outfit, their real similarity is not in their songs or style, but in the ferocity of their assault and the precision with. On their second album, efficiently titled II, Metz have grown even more muscular and menacing.
Album Name II. Type Album. Labels Sub Pop Records. Music StyleNoise Rock. Members owning this album1. 3. Spit You Out. 4. Zzyzx.
|A3||Spit You Out|
|B3||Wait In Line|
|B5||Kicking A Can Of Worms|
- Copyright (c) – Sub Pop Records
- Copyright (c) – Negative Space
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Sub Pop Records
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Negative Space
- Mastered At – Chicago Mastering Service
- Pressed By – Record Technology Incorporated – 23553
- Recorded At – Basketball 4 Life
- Recorded At – Dreamhouse Studio
- Recorded At – Candle Recording
- Recorded At – Taurus Recording
- Band [METZ Are] – Alex Edkins, Chris Slorach, Hayden Menzies
- Design – METZ, Sasha Barr
- Engineer [Assistant Engineer] – Calvin Hartwick
- Mastered By – Matthew Barnhart
- Mixed By – Graham Walsh, METZ
- Photography By – John Edkins
- Photography By [Live Photography] – David Waldman
- Recorded By – Alexandre Bonenfant*, Graham Walsh
- Recorded By [Additional Recording] – Alex Edkins
- Songwriter, Producer – METZ
NotesLoser edition on coloured vinyl which comes in a shiny alternate slip cover.
Includes a download code. Gatefold embossed sleeve and printed inner sleeve.
Per the Sub Pop website the album includes one of three random posters. One is of someone walking in the snow, one is a member of the band jumping on stage (replicating the inner sleeve) and one is of two people on a bench (replicating the album cover).
This submission is for the edition with the snow poster.
© ℗ 2015 Sub Pop Records for the World exlcuding Canada.
© ℗ 2015 Negative Space in Canada.
Recorded by Graham Walsh at Baskitball 4 Life and Alexandre Bonenfant at Dreamhouse, Candle Recording, Taurus Studios.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Slipcase): 0 98787 11201 6
- Barcode (Backcover): 0 98787 11201 6
- Matrix / Runout (Side A, etched): SP1120-A Ⓨ MB141218 23553.1
- Matrix / Runout (Side B, etched): SP1120-B Ⓨ MB141218 23553.2
|SP1120||Metz||II (LP, Album)||Sub Pop||SP1120||USA & Canada||2015|
|SP1120||Metz||II (CD, Album, Gat)||Sub Pop||SP1120||US||2015|
|TRCP-185||Metz||II (CD, Album)||Sub Pop||TRCP-185||Japan||2015|
|SP1120||METZ||II (LP, Album, Ltd, Blu)||Sub Pop||SP1120||USA & Canada||2015|
|SP1120||Metz||II (Cass, Album, whi)||Sub Pop||SP1120||US||2017|